There are different methods for loading data into HANA:
- SAP Data Services
- SAP LT Replication Server (SLT)
- Sybase Replication Server (SRS)
- Direct Extractor Connection (DXC)
- SAP Process Orchestration/Integration (SAP PI, SAP XI)
- SAP BW
- Hana Smart Data Integration (SDI)
- Hana Smart Data Streaming (SDS)
The first ones from both groups will be covered here.
SAP Data Services
SAP Data Services is a data integration and transformation software application. It allows users to develop and execute workflows that take data from multiple sources and then allows the user to combine, transform, and refine that data, and then send to a destination system.
Data Services supports SAP and non-SAP sources and targets, regardless of file type, system, or application. It validates and cleans the information and then pushes that information to the downstream systems (including HANA, and BW). For Data Integration from many to many systems with all the requirements related, Data Services is and will be a good choice. Its focus is on batch performance, transformations and connectivity to every possible source/target.
Acta Technology Inc. was provider of first real time data integration platform. The two software products provided by Acta were an ETL tool, named as Data Integration (DI) tool also known as ‘Actaworks’ and a Data Management or Data Quality (DQ) tool.
BusinessObjects, a French company acquired Acta Technology Inc. in the year 2002.
BusinessObjects rebranded the two products of Acta as BusinessObjects Data Integration (BODI) tool and BusinessObjects Data Quality (BODQ) tool.
In the year 2007, SAP, legend in ERP solutions, acquired BusinessObjects and renamed the products as SAP BODI and SAP BODQ. Later in the year 2008 SAP integrated both software products into a single end to end software product and named it as SAP BusinessObjects Data Services (BODS) which provides both data integration and data management solutions. In the earlier versions of SAP BODS text data processing solution is also included with it.
When SAP released Data Services 4.2, they removed Business Objects and changed the name to ‘SAP Data Services (SDS)’.
For HANA, Data Services pushes the execution of transformations down into HANA by generating HANA Calculation views. This paradigm known as ELT dramatically improves processing time. ELT is much more flexible than ETL because the transformation is done at query runtime and we can run new transformations as well as test and enhance queries directly on the raw data as it is required – without the time and complexity that we’ve become used to with ETL.
SAP HANA Enterprise Information Management (SAP HANA EIM)
Until recently, if a customer wanted to load e.g. flat files into Hana, he had to install Data Services. An installation of a full blown ETL tool just for that is an overkill solution because loading into Hana means that we don’t need implementation for all other possible targets. For that reason, SAP developed from ground up the SAP Enterprise Information Management (SAP HANA EIM) with capabilities in batch or real-time deployments and possibilities to connect with any source, provision and cleanse data, and load data into SAP HANA on-premise or in the cloud.
SAP HANA EIM comprises two technologies: Smart Data Integration (SDI) and Smart Data Quality (SDQ).
Smart Data Integration
Real-time, high-speed data provisioning, bulk data movement, and federation. Provides built-in adapters plus an SDK so you can build your own. Includes the following features and tools:
- Replication Editor in the SAP HANA Web-based Development Workbench, which lets you set up batch or real-time data replication scenarios in an easy-to-use web application
- Transformations presented as nodes in SAP HANA Web IDE and SAP HANA Web-based Development Workbench, which lets you set up batch or real-time data transformation scenarios
- Data Provisioning Agent, a lightweight component that hosts data provisioning adapters, enabling data federation, replication, and transformation scenarios for on-premise or in-cloud deployments
- Data Provisioning adapters for connectivity to remote sources
- Adapter SDK to create custom adapters
- Monitors for Data Provisioning Agents, remote subscriptions, and data loads, accessible from the SAP HANA cockpit
Smart Data Quality
Real-time, high-performance data cleansing, address cleansing, and geospatial data enrichment. Provides an intuitive interface to define data transformation flowgraphs in SAP HANA Web IDE and SAP HANA Web-based Development Workbench.