The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC) is the only stand-alone, Microsoft-supported solution to provide conversion of virtual machines and disks from VMware to Hyper-V. It can be deployed with minimal dependencies. Because MVMC has a fully scriptable command-line interface (CLI), it integrates especially well with data center automation workflows such as those authored and run within Microsoft System Center 2012 – Orchestrator. It can also be invoked through Windows PowerShell®. The solution is easy to download, install, and use. In addition to the CLI, MVMC provides a wizard-driven GUI, making it simple to perform virtual machine conversion.
MVMC provides the following features:
- Converts and deploys virtual machines from VMware hosts to Hyper-V hosts including Hyper-V on Windows Server® 2012. As part of the machine conversion MVMC converts the virtual disks attached to the source virtual machine. It also migrates configuration such as memory, virtual processor and so on from the source virtual machine to the converted virtual machine deployed on Hyper-V. It adds virtual network interface cards (NICs) to the converted virtual machine on Hyper-V.
- Converts VMware virtual disks to Hyper-V based virtual hard disks (VHDs).
- Supports conversion of virtual machines from VMware vSphere 4.1 and 5.0 hosts to Hyper-V.
- Note MVMC also supports conversion of virtual machines from VMware vSphere 4.0 if the host is managed by vCenter 4.1 or vCenter 5.0. You have to connect to vCenter 4.1 or 5.0 through MVMC to convert virtual machines on vSphere 4.0.
- Offers fully scriptable command-line interfaces for performing virtual machine and disk conversions that integrates well with data center automation workflows and Windows PowerShell scripts.
- Has a wizard-driven GUI, making it simple to perform virtual machine conversion.
- Uninstalls VMware tools prior to conversion to provide a clean way to migrate VMware-based virtual machines to Hyper-V.
- Supports Windows Server guest operating system conversion, including Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 SP2.
- Enables conversion of Windows® client versions including Windows 7.
- Installs integration services on the converted virtual machine if the guest operating system is Windows Server 2003 SP2.